HOW TO RUN AQUACHAR
Most common implementation is our mesh bag closer to the return of a hang-on-back, cannister, or sump filtration.
Appropriate mesh size allows flow and easy monthly maintenance.
AquaChar may initially float but sinks as it fills with organics and bacteria.
AquaChar also works well in a reactor to control flowrate.
Low-to-moderate flow; slow enough to allow interaction with the water but fast enough to push larger organics through.
If needed, temporarily increase flow once a month to push larger organics and free unused porosity.
We recommend rinsing new AquaChar before use; however, residual dust is not harmful and will settle in your substrate or mechanical filtration.
Recommended dosing is one (1) cup (237mL) per 50-60 gallons ( approx. 200L) of water.
Maintenance addition can be ½ the recommended dosage.
Add new to the existing every 3-6+ months (as needed) to maintain clarity and boost biological balance & stability.
It is important to monitor your parameters whenever making any adjustments to see how your system responds.
For systems with sensitive inhabitants, AquaChar recommends starting with a smaller dose and building up the biological media with more frequent addition until desired results are obtained.
HOW TO USE AQUACHAR
AquaChar is makes maintaining clarity and managing biological balance & stability easier than any filter media on the market.
Once a month, use water change water to shake AquaChar to remove some larger organics and free up unused porosity.
As needed, new AquaChar can be added to the old before placing in the filter.
- Rinse AquaChar and place half in small container.
- Add new to the old, replace in filter.
- Add 50/50 Hydrogen Peroxide/water mix and let sit for 24 hours.
- Drain and place AquaChar in thin layer to AIR DRY.
- Once AquaChar has dried, shake before using again.
WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE ALL YOUR BIOLOGICAL AQUACHAR AT ONCE. THIS CAN RESULTING IN A BACTERIA BLOOM OR THE LOSS OF NITROGEN CYCLE.
This regeneration method is to offer a way to extend the use of AquaChar but may not have the same effectiveness (loss of about 1/3 effectiveness). We recommend mixing regenerated AquaChar with new for reuse in aquariums.
RECYCLE TO NATURE
Fully exhausted AquaChar can be used as a soil additive for gardening and house plants according to the methods below:
- When using AquaChar for FRESHWATER, you can it directly in your garden as is. This allows the organics and bacteria to interact directly with the environment and have a quicker impact.
- When using AquaChar for SALTWATER, start by rinsing it well, then perform the regenerations steps, followed by an optional white vinegar bath to add a biological carbon source.